Old 06-04-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Greenwood618

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
I'm reading the book right now and I realized that for years my thoughts of drinking have been, "You should have a drink." Not "I should have a drink." My mind was already doing it, I just hadn't noticed it.

Reading his book has left me with some questions. One being do I really never want to drink again? Maybe I do. I have many reasons to stop. But I think I need to inspect my AV for awhile with this new perspective before I jump into a Big Plan. I'm sure you will all think this is pure AV but I'm asking myself how bad is my drinking really? Before I commit to a Big Plan I think I really need to consider this though. Is my problem worthy? Only I can really decide. There is a sense of being at odds with myself.

I'm about half way through the book but it is by far the best recovery book I've ever read and I've read a lot of them.
The ambivalence about not being sure if you want to continue drinking or not might be your first ever experience separating the adult, human "You" from the subhuman, party animal "It."

Now, your path is easy.

One, you continue drinking, in which case, you should enjoy your drinks as much as possible. You are an adult and have every right to continue with voluntary, legal behavior as long as it endangers no one else.

Two, you quit, once and forever.

It doesn't take much detective work on SR to see that drinking has not worked out very well for you.

If you were doing something you know to be harmful, don't you think it would be a good idea to cease it immediately?