View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 02:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Primativo

Originally Posted by andyh View Post
hi Primativo & welcome to SR

sorry to hear you're having a rough time of it, but you've come to a good place.

it sounds like you're in the UK? if so, I've had a similar experience at A&E - IV fluids, a talking to, a tablet or two of Librium or Valium & then kicked back out of the door

I don't know whether you've talked to your local alcohol team yet, but they may be able to arrange an outpatient (ie at home) detox for you which is safer & a lot more comfortable than trying to taper on alcohol.

I know it's probably pretty scary for you at the moment, but you're doing the right thing & you're not alone.

Thank you. Yes I'm in the UK.

I contacted my local detox service earlier this week by phone which is in the same hospital I went to A&E. They called me back for a quick chat on Tuesday but said I'd be properly assessed in a week which was no use to me as I needed support immediately. However when I arrived at hospital yesterday their alcohol liaison person got in touch with the detox team and said to get in touch and chased it up for me. Apparently I'll receive a call today.

It's been 9 hours since my last drink now and I managed to avoid waking up at 5am and having a drink so at least I've got through that initial period so that tablet did it's job. Having huge cravings to drink right now but going to try to keep nyself busy and distracted. I know the cravings will pass but it's easier said than done.