Thread: ??
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Sounds like you celebrated some good news with some wine.

I think a lot of people see RR/AVRT as a method , as a system to implement in order to bring about a 'quit'.

I see comments all the time " I thought I made a BP and yet I've had more drinks" , it seems as if they are surprised or disappointed that AVRT didn't 'work' . As if they believe that following the 'instructions' of AVRT and by stating a BP and using all the vernacular is what brings the 'quit' about or makes it 'stick'.

I don't think it works that way. It 'works' when a decision is made to abstain, a BP is Made to never again consume x,y, or z . From that point on any thought of future use of x,y, or z is recognized and attributed as coming from the desire for x,y, or z and then dismissed as being counter to the plan to abstain.

Stating a plan, literally just enunciating verbiage, doesn't bring some special magic with it that keeps future consumption at bay.

RR/AVRT 's utility is in showing 'what quitting looks like'.

When you ( the general you, not singling out the OP) decide to quit, decide that you will never again change your mind about not using/consuming x,y, or z , AVRT describes what residual desire will look and feel like and how that desire will influence our thoughts.

Addiction or continued use isn't a function of the desire it is a function of indulging IT.

"I've said a million times I'd quit and then I used again " Does this mean that saying you quit doesn't work , or that you didn't mean what you said?

AVRT and a BP don't facilitate quitting , It( they) are what it looks like.