Thread: Optimism?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sasha1972

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
my opinion? nobody who is SERIOUS about recovery would make a ten dollar bet with their minor child about it.
The "bet" thing is borderline manipulative - he's done this stuff before, it's a way of "enlisting" supporters by getting them involved in agreements and wagers and so forth. I definitely went down that path many times before realizing it was a form of attention-seeking. My lawyer calls it "recruiting for Team Alcoholic". My feeling is the same as yours, someone who's really had a change of heart and wanted to pursue sobriety wouldn't make bets with his daughter, he would just DO IT.

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
yes people do have moments of clarity and have a complete change of heart and mind in a single flash, often when faced with life threatening issues. as they say, there are no atheists in foxholes. and yes it would be wonderful if you didn't have to deal with addict crazy anymore. but i wouldn't be calling the attorney and modifying the parenting plan just yet.........
Yes - I need to make sure my expectations stay realistic. If he's reached the point where he's hallucinating and seizing during withdrawal, he really really needs to reduce his intake, so even if this "pledge" only lasts for a short time, it's better than nothing at all.