Thread: Original Denial
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
tursiops999

Yes, looking back, i think i can see OD in my thought process. I thought of my alcohol and drug use as rather innocent and harmless in the early years, and maybe it was at times. The thing that made me quit was an awakening of moral conscience. A couple episodes ... i drove home drunk from a co-workers baby shower. Not just slightly buzzed ... I'd driven home on one or two glasses of wine many times and thought nothing of it. But this time i drove when i couldnt see straight, and could have killed someone. Another time while drinking i grew frustrated at my husband and spoke to him so harshly i hardly recognized myself.

Within a few months of these episodes, i quit.

The OD came into play there too ... up until i quit, i was fairly convinced that alcohol eased my stress and helped my depression. I was afraid to give it up for those reasons, but i felt like morally i had to. I was amazed to discover that it was the cause of my angst rather than the cure .. so surprised. I guess that's the OD? The beast equating "good" feelings with actual good, when in fact harm is ocurring, to self and others.