View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in.

Like Hawkeye, I sometimes wonder if I'm more gold than pot. But - if that's true, doesn't that make us even MORE valuable??

But seriously. I used to be really afraid to look at those scars, both physical and emotional. Didn't think I could handle the memories, or face up to what caused them. I have a picture of myself in the hospital after I tripped on my front steps, hitting my head hard, and causing two small skull fractures, a small brain bleed, and the loss of my sense of smell (permanent, probably). I hated looking at it for a long time. There I am, two big black eyes, looking quite banged up. For a long time, I denied to myself and others it was from drinking. My front steps are rather easy to trip on, so I went with that. That allowed me to keep living in denial for a few years, and saved me from having to confess how bad the drinking was getting. Amazing that no one called me out on that. People HAD to know. And deep down, I knew. I didn't quit for over two years after that.

I can look at the picture now, even though it still makes me cringe. But the cringing is because I'm kind of mad at myself for not seeing it as the wake-up call it certainly should have been. Not because I'm ashamed to admit it was mostly because I was drunk. I see it as one of things that eventually got me to where I am now, sober and filling in the cracks with gold.