View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Weekender 19- 23 April 2018

I've been trying to build my library back up recently - I had to sell a lot of books over the years, sometimes for money when I was drinking, and then in recent years for space considerations.

so...I've started with a few of my favorites, and one arrived today - Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man.

It's a cracking collection of short stories, bound by the idea that each story is a tattoo or illustration on the body of the title character.

I have no tattoos myself, but it got me to thinking about my journey, and how many scrapes and scars and wrinkles I've acquired over the course of my life - some visible some not.

I decided long ago, when I first came to recovery, I wasn't going to be ashamed of these markers any more - I wanted to celebrate them.

Each of them stands for something - good bad or indifferent - which has led me to this point, and who I am now.

Rather than defects or scars I feel maybe it's better to think of them as gifts?

I've spoken before about the Japanese practice of kintsukuroi - repairing broken pottery with gold and other precious metals - repairing things are 'broken' in such a way they actually gain value and a new unique identity.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ntsukuroi.html (kintsukuroi)

a wonderful analogy for recovery I think?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone - and remember this thread is here, all weekend, open to everyone for help and support

D