Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

welcome Jen!

I'm glad you're sober today and I thank you for helping ME stay sober.... by contributing your personal story as a reminder of the danger of even 'just one' drink for me.

Thank you.

As for anxiety - I certainly have felt its teeth and also depression. Over four years sober and I still had to deal with it. After trying a lot of other things for years, I did finally try a low-dose SSRI and have found it to be immensely helpful. That said, I did all the other things first; long-term sobriety, therapy, meditation, exercise, lifestyle changes, supplements, blue lights, etc...... in the end I finally accepted that a part of my long term addiction / alcoholism and life is simply that I struggle with anxiety and depression, and it's just as OK to treat that with appropriate medical treatment as it is to treat my chronic heartburn and GERD and Barrett's Esophagus.

Anyway.... at your stage of the game, what helped for me was taking ample self time. exercise. a good therapist. Meditation. Journaling. BEING AS PRESENT AS POSSIBLE and simplifying my life.

Stick around, this is a great community of support and a great family of sober advocates.