View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 08:12 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Cool

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
REBT relies on DISPUTATION.

While disputation may entail contemplative reasoning, disputation requires challenging a thought or belief.
Yes, but the Beast is a rational entity, since it is merely trying to stay alive, and its Addictive Voice is therefore a rational, intelligent expression of a biological drive for pleasure, which is equated subcortically with survival. The Beast knows beyond doubt that there is only one worthwhile goal in its life -- to ensure that it gets the next fix.

It would be rather irrational for the Beast, or any other living thing, for that matter, to not try and survive, no? How exactly can you challenge a living creature's desire to stay alive?

No matter what you say to 'dispute' the AV, you are effectively telling the Beast "I want you to die. Would you please kindly agree with me, and just go away and starve, because I think that it is irrational for you to live?"

Would you buy into that? Would anyone? You are essentially trying to fight the Beast's perfect rationality with an absurd, irrational argument, while also threatening its life.