Old 04-05-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Dzhen

Update

Hi guys. Am with my sister now and even though she's busy, she's been really supportive. As it appears my husband doesn't intend to leave, we've been talking through a plan to encourage him to do so. I'm thinking of asking whether he can use some of our joint savings to go to a cheap airbnb for a while - a month at least. That way he won't have the 'I don't want to impose on a friend' excuse. We had been saving that money for more happy purposes - having a baby, buying a house, taking a holiday - but it's pretty clear to me that none of that is going to happen if he doesn't get better (well a holiday could, but our recent holidays have been nightmares).

As I mentioned to Bekindalways, I'm having trouble not caving, so it's a good thing we have some serious geographical distance between us. He texted yesterday with a clean, time-verified breathalyser result (yeah, we have a breathalyser - I couldn't ever be accused of turning a blind eye to the drinking!) and I responded that although I appreciate that, I still need him to leave (his response was 'ok' but that doesn't mean he actually agrees - he's good at saying 'ok' to keep the peace). But I've also texted with a recommendation that he find a forum like this and participate on it. True to form, I can't stop trying to fix him. Or is that level of encouragement acceptable? It's hard to know when I cross a line from being helpful to being codependent.

Anyway, as always, your thoughts are welcome. I need to go back home and to work at some stage - by Monday, most probably (though I'm going to talk to my boss about this today). So I guess I need to talk to him about my idea soon, or I'll arrive back to a flat with him still in it. I haven't heard from him since the above-mentioned text so it's also possible he is on a binge or has even gone already - or something in between. I do worry that he will binge and fall over or choke on his own vomit, but I guess I have to live with that possibility. When I'm away, I find I don't worry too much about what he's doing, because whatever it is, at least I don't have to witness it.

Today, I'm going to take my sister's adorable puppy for a walk to the beach and have a haircut.