Old 04-04-2018, 10:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
But I can't imagine going through the rest of my sober life not drinking just because of a promise I made to myself years before, that's an emotionless logical sort of path a computer might take, but I can't. I don't drink, and won't ever drink again, because I don't wish to and because I know that no matter what happens, good or bad, I will quickly turn it all to ashes if I were to start drinking again. And if I ever waver, I can think back to where drinking led me in 2010, and remember what it was like. It was hell, and for me alcohol is forever closely tied to that hell, so there's a very strong revulsion factor that I don't think I'll ever lose.
Outside of these forums, my “unbreakable promise” to never drink again comes to mind for about one minute per year. I personally LOVE the emotionless, logical, and quick computer-like response I have to the opportunity to drink again. It’s almost as if I’m in a self-driving vehicle in regards to that promise. It’s virtually automatic. While I definitely remember my deciding it would be wrong for me to ever drink again, I cannot remember the actual sensations of the negative consequences way back then, and have no interest in revisiting them, because the promise DOES stand on its own for why I never drink.