View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CoParentToA

Originally Posted by Ladysadie View Post
When you go to court in May, ask for a petition for revision to full custody with supervised visits if he is not going to respect the Soberlink model. When he's substantially stable with that, then you can do a modification down the road. Not sure of the ages of your children but you have to fight like a hellcat sometimes to keep them safe. In my state modifications are like every two years if you file for one, no sooner.

Start in a position of strength and control, then you can ease up as your children get older, your confidence is assuaged by him behaving more responsibly.
Agree. Better to start fighting now than have to go back with burden of proof later. His missed SoberLink tests are reason enough for you to be concerned and pursue supervised custody. And the court is way less likely to change things in the future than to consider your request now. I wish I had been more aggressive sooner; I am now at a point where I am pursuing a change of custody but it's now been years of worry and associated legal fees. And I only started this when I found out he had driven them drunk, putting them in real danger. I had told myself he would never do that but guess what? The disease is progressive and when it came time for him to protect his children or his drinking, he chose the latter.

If SoberLink is used, it is critical to have a court ordered and enforced protocol for a missed test. In our case it was kids coming back to me for several days and extension of the monitoring period.