View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
batchel9

How do you handle custody of small kids?

Been a while since I have posted. Started here trying to figure out what to do with AH and ended up going down the divorce path.

With me out of the way his drinking has become more frequent and severe over the last 8 months.

We are close to finalizing our divorce and I'm at a loss what to argue for regarding custody. I started going down the path of 50/50 custody using Soberlink. (50/50 custody is typical in my state unless you argue otherwise). He agreed to Soberlink so it seemed like a good option. My kids have a sober dad in their lives!

Well, in theory that works but in reality it doesn't. He essentially doesn't blow in the thing if he knows he has been drinking. It has "dead batteries" or he "left if XYZ", etc. Doesnt happen often but has at least 3 in the last few months.

It's SO HARD because 9/10 times he's ok. The one time he's not good is potentially bad.

Now, awesome for me, my lawyer thinks I have already put myself in an unideal situation by initially agreeing to 50% and Soberlink. She thinks it's an uphill battle to change. And even if I change, ask to change to what? Even if he only has the kids every other weekend there is still the potential to drink. I'm feeling defeated. My court trial date is scheduled for May 1.