Old 04-03-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by RecklessEric View Post
A promise is, by definition, breakable.
Because delivering pleasure causing substances into my blood has a 1 - extremely specific, voluntary nature, 2 - in-my-face deliberateness, and 3 - conscience-laden awareness, I relate the following two promises as very similar in regards to their actually BEING “unbreakable”.

A. I promise I will never drink/drug again.
And
B. I promise 4 will never be a prime number.

Anyone who doesn’t like the fact that they are unbreakable, will just have to live with it.

I know absolutely that A. is true for me (and I must know because I can’t lie to myself (I’ve tried over and over to tell myself a lie, but every time I know what I’m doing and cannot progress further into believing it.))

Some people get stuck on the fact that, even though I promised “I will never drink again” and I know I cannot fail to keep it, there is NO WAY they or ANYONE ELSE can ever truly know whether or not I made that promise, partly because so many people do lie about having made it.

Other people can grow to accept its possibility over time and trust may return.

Instead of believing that people can change their mind about any and all promises imaginable, in a quick and permanent recovery from addiction it is very useful to know that there are promises that are “unbreakable”.