Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Dude, this wasn't a "trigger." It was a punch to the gut at 2 weeks sober.

I'd like to say I would not have drunk over it, but I'd be lying. Maybe not, at 2 weeks I was still in inpatient. I watched marriages fall apart while there. Most people left and got drunk or high when it happened.

Truth is I would have been on the floor in more ways than one. I know myself at that stage.

The important thing is what you started. Get up and dust yourself off and get back on the horse. In a weird way, since you're a lawyer and there are lots of things to do if this does indeed go to a messy divorce it actually gives you something to do and distract you from cravings, etc.

I know this is very easy to say and VERY difficult to do, but don't lose yourself in anger and resentment, or at least try to do so as little as possible. Resentment (and solitude) are the two biggest enemies of sobriety for me. Rather, try and treat it as a problem to be solved. As best you can.

You need help here. If you don't have supportive sober friends, use us. And get the hell into a lot of meetings and start talking to people. A lot. Like your sponsor. It's your turn to get help now. Don't try and man up and be all stoic and sh*t. Not at this point. Find a shoulder to cry on and wet that mofo.

Alcoholism is a disease with a very simple cure. Don't lift that drink to your mouth. It's compliance that's hard.

You know what you need to do. Get help and doing it. White knuckled, dig in your fingernails.

You're a strong guy and larger than life. You can do this.