Thread: Common Theme
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I'd like to tell you that it gets better with time, but that is not my experience nor the experience of thre many people I know who suffer from this illness. I managed quite a good dry spell when I seemed to have a lot of external problems. The authorities were on my back, I had to serve a sentence of periodic detention, I was taking antabuse, but not doing anything else. In a way I think that pressure kept me away from the fatal first drink.

Then the sentence was done, I tried to resume "normal life" got more and more miserable and eventually drank, a bender that lasted almost a year. There is plenty about this in the AA Big Book, it seems to be part of the common problem.

Drinking again is not the only possible outcome. I have also seen folks in your position suddenly decide to take action on recovery and change their lives for the better. I have seen a few long timers, totally miserable, suddenly have life changing spiritual experiences. I can think of two who used to drive me nuts with over 20 years dry who are completley different people today.

It can be changed, depending on what you are willing to do, and that depends very much on how well you understand the nature of alcoholism. When someone is as alcohilic as I was, there is no middle of the road solution.