Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CRRHCC

The quick fix or mood changer is a slow death

My brother is now in Hospice Care with end stage liver disease at 64. He will be dead any day now. He spent the last two weeks in ICU with his liver and kidneys shutting down.

He loved pain pills and alcohol. He wasn’t drunk every day but he did drink every day. He had no real purpose in life. He lived to feel good, in a world that is not fair, easy or painless. As an addict, he believed life should be fair, easy and painless. Because it is not, he regained control of his feelings with the quick fix or mood changer of drugs and alcohol. He never learned a healthy way to regain control of his feelings.

I’m writing this to tell you that you don’t have to be a raging alcoholic to destroy your health. Drugs and alcohol are hard on your liver. His last few years he never even drank.

With respect to addictive behavior, I’ve learned that people change when they hurt enough and have to or when they learn enough and want to! My brother learned enough, but it was too late for him. It doesn’t have to be for you. People change, when they are motivated to change. People change when they understand themselves and what they really value in life.

I’m not writing this for you to feel sorry for me or him.

I’m writing this to humbly suggest you get high on discovering yourself and God’s purpose for you life. If you don’t believe in God, find something else of high value for you. When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.

Peace