View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Day 4 or 5 is usually the time it takes for the acohol to get clear of the system. I think they had me on some powerful med for the first three days one time. I didn't like the way it zonked me out so I woke up fairly straight one morning and refused to take anymore.

This is your fourth detox so obviously something happens around day four. It may be like I see a lot among the frequent flyers in the detox I visit sometimes.

The first couple of days the patient is miserable, frightened and very unwell. They have a true picture of the serious nature of their condition and will do anything for it to stop. Every now andt hen one of them does go to any lengths and recover.

But for the others, around day for or five they begin to feel better, lose sight of the real problem, the ego begins to rebuild and pretty soon self sufficiency looks like the answer. And anyway now it will be different given that I know what happens to me when I drink, and won't you please leave me alone, and what gives you the right to talk to me like that etc.

They go from a surrendered state back to fighting everyone and everything. They usually are back in the detox a few months later, and always in worse condition . Then they don't come back because they are dead or permanently locked up for their own good.

If you want to have a big day four event, make a decision to accept all the help that is offered and go to any lengths to recover. Make it your number one priority. Then you will be able to look back and see that day four was the start of a completely new life, instead of the beginning of another slide down into the alcholic pit.