View Single Post
Old 03-30-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
StevenSlate

Here's a couple of questions I like, in bold, if anyone wants to answer them. I'll put my personal answers in:

What did you hope or expect would be better about your life after quitting your problematic substance use?

I could stop worrying about all the legal problems.
I could address my physical health.
I could finally start pursuing some real goals, and maybe even achieve them.
I could spend more time with the people I loved.
I might make my parents proud.
I'd move beyond feeling a need for drugs.
I'd be more independent.
I'd be generally happier.

What is better about your life since you stopped using substances problematically?

I knew I hated all the legal problems, but didn't fully realize how much energy was eaten up by worrying about them. I felt like my mind was freed beyond belief by this. Same goes for the mental energy eaten up by pursuit of drugs. I did have to turn myself into the police in 2009 who were recharging me for a crime from 1999, but I did it with no fear, and my years without arrest brought that to a quick end!

I got over the worst of my health problems. New ones did pop-up, but I'm better able to handle them.

I pursued A LOT of goals. Decided some weren't for me, succeeded at some, and unfortunately failed at others, but am happy I pursued them anyways. The experiences were far more exciting and enriching than heavy drug use, even when I failed.

My parents seem to like me better than my siblings who aren't screw-ups. LOL. They are prouder than I ever thought they'd be. I am very lucky in this regard.

I don't miss drugs. I'm happy that they're no longer a prerequisite to having fun or dealing with problems.

I spend time with people I love, and have made more meaningful relationships than I ever thought possible.

I am happier.

I became independent. I pay rent out the nose, but don't have to answer to anyone about whether my home is messy or whatever!

Instead of being a problem to everyone, I'm now the one people often turn to for help. I like that. I wanted to be like my father in this regard, and have succeeded.

Somehow, most of the symptoms of my multiple mental illness diagnoses seem to have gone away. Some linger, like Social Anxiety. I did not expect this improvement.

This isn't an exhaustive list. But I know without a doubt I'd never be happier returning to heavy substance use, even as things go wrong. Many things have gone wrong; many disappointments. But I opened myself to the possibility that living without heavy substance use could be a happier life and proved it to myself.