View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
StevenSlate

The idea that we control our own minds and that our thoughts/beliefs is implicit in almost every non-medication-based approach to substance use problems.

Why do I have to admit/accept that I'm powerless in order to recover from addiction? It suggests first that the belief in powerlessness will affect my future behavior. Second, it suggests that the belief can't be forced upon me, but that somehow I have to see it as true in my own mind.

The same can be said for all the effort that goes into persuading people of the veracity of the disease model of addiction, all the begging of people to believe it. It implies that the individual has to expend some effort to try to see the truth of this model, and that in finally believing it they will facilitate some change in themselves.

I could go on and on about every recovery method - except for those that say "just take this pill and let it do the work." All are trying to appeal to the mind of the individual, to persuade, to say "this is a good and useful idea and if you choose to investigate and believe it, make it a part of your thinking, you can get over your problems." This holds true for TFM too, obviously.

If just exposing people to the ideas could in some way force people to accept them (control their minds), then we wouldn't see so much continued problematic substance use - such high relapse rates post-treatment. Or maybe we wouldn't even need that. Maybe Just Say No ads would do the trick, if we could control other people's minds and force them to accept ideas.