View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
steve202020

10 days sober but struggling today.

Hi guys,

It has been ten days since I last got drunk (I am a binge drinker) and decided to stop drinking. I found the first weekend pretty easy to get through but now, with this weekend fast approaching, I am really craving.

What hasn't helped is that a very old friend and drinking buddy who has been working abroad contacted me yesterday to say he'll be back this summer and 'can't wait to have a few beers' with me.

This started off a chain of thoughts which began with me thinking things like, 'oh maybe if I stay sober until the summer it will be alright to have some drinks with my friend,' to 'if I'm going to be drinking in the summer anyway, then what's the point in giving up now. Maybe I'll get some cans for this Friday.'

I tried to talk to my wife about this earlier, and told her I was feeling a bit weak at the moment and struggling with my cravings, but she told me she didn't want to talk about it, because talking about alcohol was making her want some. She doesn't have a binge drinking problem like me (she can just have one or two drinks and be happy) and she is doing me a big favour by also abstaining for a few weeks so I will not have the temptation around the house.

Anyway, I am just writing this to vent really. I hope I don't feel like this tomorrow.

One positive note though- last weekend (my first sober weekend in ages) was fantastic. I spent really quality time with my wife and daughter and I even managed to go for a hike with a workmate. Not having a hangover on Saturday and Sunday means you can do so much more. It was so good to not feel like crap.

So I have to keep this up!

Does anyone have any advice for me about what to do about my old drinking friend coming back though? I feel like it will upset him if I'm not drinking and it's also really tempting to drink with him because we have had so many good sessions in the past.......