View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 03:11 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by StevenSlate View Post
... I want to get across the points that you are in control of yourself already, and if you become convinced that a change is your happier option, you will easily carry it out. I say it's easy, because it's just not making choices once you don't believe those things will make you happier - not having the fifth drink, or the first drink, or the cocaine, or whatever. ...
I appreciate your italicized emphasis on “not making choices” above. (I underlined and bolded it since your whole quote is automatically italicized by the SR software).

When some of your attendees finally make that final choice to begin “just not making choices” anymore, and pledge to stick with, what in some cases is, permanent abstinence, have you ever noticed from any of them a sort of cathartic positive emotional response to their commitment to abstinence, like, “Wow! Now I can really see and feel a future free from problems caused by drinking now that I won’t even be entertaining the possibility of choosing to go back to drinking. Yes, I can really feel it. It is OVER, DONE, FINIS, KAPUT”?

Do you ever go into any more detail with them about the permanence (or, depending upon TFM, possibly non-permanence) of freely and finally deciding to remove future choices as an option?