View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 01:42 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  
AlericB

Originally Posted by fini View Post
why better does not equal happier in my understanding is something i will think more about....
I also had to think about this fini. I don't know if this will help - it may not but we're here to share our experiences . The way I equate the two is to imagine a wall where the left side of the wall represents the opposite of happiness: pain, sadness and anxiety and so on, in short, unhappiness in the widest sense. And the right of the wall represents happiness, again in the widest possible sense including whatever you think is the better or best outcome at the time.

So any choice you make that moves you towards the right hand side of the wall is your happier option, even if it's "just" a movement from pain to less pain.

The Positive Drive Principle (PDP) says that we all have a natural motivation to be happy and so, faced with any choice, we will always decide to move towards the happy and positive side of the wall, and furthermore once we have made that decision we will find it "easy" to move in that direction because our natural motivation will drive us that way.

So if we look at all our options for future substance use and decide what would makes us the happiest in this wide sense we will have come "unstuck" and can get on with our lives.