View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

You nailed Cliffside as well DR. The reason I even know about it was that there was a gorgeous pampered privileged 22 year old lady at my recovery. She'd been to Cliffside and basically said she wasted $70K of her parents' money because she had absolutely no intention of getting sober. They were putting her through a second rehab, but weren't paying the $70K again. They have equestrian therapy there, she tried to bring her own horse....which is how I know about the pet-friendly thing.

I don't think she was an atypical patient/client at Cliffside. I haven't kept in touch with many people from inpatient, so I'm not sure where she is. She was very bright and had a lot to offer. I hope it took the second time; she was supposedly sober for at least a few weeks after she left.

I didn't need to go to jail to learn how to work the rehab system...there were plenty of criminals in inpatient rehab who taught me, among other things, how to carry drugs to avoid both arrest and getting ripped off, a better way to cook rock cocaine, how to beat a manslaughter charge....

I never had kids, so I'm not sure how I'd handle a 24 year old who ended up a heroin addict and in jail. I get the tough love way, but I don't think I could do that....at least the first time.