View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Not sure what you mean by a "scholarship," but I'm guessing you are trying to have the rehabilitation covered by insurance. Either hers or yours, if she is young enough and you have family coverage.

The only dog friendly that I've heard of in Los Angeles is Cliffside in Malibu. It's extremely expensive and I doubt you will get anything near full insurance coverage, but it might be worth a shot.

I totally get that it would be better for her to have a pet in her rehabilitation. However, her getting the best treatment possible that you can afford is more important than her having her pet. I know how hard it is, I had to leave my dog for 5 weeks last year for rehab. He had not left my side during my last illness and helped to keep me alive until I could get treatment (and he has been glued to my side ever since I got out!). Fortunately he was able to stay with my roommates. To be perfectly honest, knowing he was in good hands and NOT having him with me was, I believe, more beneficial than having him there with me. Inpatient treatment is all about 100% concentrating on you and your addictions and being isolated from the outside world so you CAN concentrate on nothing but your recovery. It may seem like a long time without a pet, but as I said, knowing the dog would be in good hands, I assume with you, may do her more good in the long run. Many places WILL allow people to bring a pet on visiting day, but that is not always advisable because it confuses the pet even more when they have to go home without their peoples.

If she is in jail, the criminal justice system will also have a big say in where she goes for treatment.

I have a feeling that finding an affordable rehabilitation that offers a good successful program which takes insurance and that the State of California will approve of given a felony may rule out any of the few programs that will allow patients to have their dogs.