View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

I have to admit I've only skimmed some of the material and even less of the discussion, but a few thoughts came to me. First, I'm a bit of a dialectical thinker, and those who remember me know I'm not much of an either/or, right/wrong, my way/your way kind of guy. So, that said:

I agree that using is a choice, even for the so-called addict.

I agree and disagree about the disease model. If it is a disease, neuroplasticity tells us it can be healed, or at least sustained and repeated redirection away from formerly dysfunctional behavior can create new neural pathways and weaken the old.

There is evidence that certain medications like methodone and suboxone can help keep people alive. I'm just not a fan of the idea, and I think the sooner we stop messing with our neurotransmitters the better.

Which brings up the whole area of co-occurring disorders. A large percentage of people who have substance use problems have substance use problems largely because they started self-medicating for anxiety, depression, or other symptoms. Stopping substances doesn't cure the underlying problem, but it sets the stage for addressing them effectively through exercise, diet, self-help, mindfulness, and if necessary, therapy and even medication. It's not all that helpful to tell people that if they just choose to stop drinking or using they'll be fine or "free."

I, too, bristle at "recovery culture," and I no longer tell people I'm in recovery. I simply do not drink or use other drugs. The thought of a lifetime of AA or NA meetings makes me want to drive an ice pick through my head.

And "loss of control" is relative. I quit before hitting bottom, as they say, and though a few drinks often snowballed, that never happened if I had to work in the morning.

One way or another, we do ourselves a favor if we can find ways to get past our past. For me, substances served a purpose. They were a solution that became problematic. They were a source of much fun and much misery. I have no desire to go backwards.

I went to a bar on St. Patrick's Day to see a band. Great time. I could care less that people were drunk or sneaking vapes of THS. People were friendly and I was energized and loving the music. It took a few years, but that's where I am these days.

I used to frequent SR for the support. I needed it. I don't need it anymore. Once in a while I log on out of boredom, or to see if some of my old connections are still lurking. I owe a great debt of gratitude to the people who frequent this website. Some disappear because they're using, some maybe died, and some disappear because they're fine.

If you're not fine today, I hope you will be soon. Just choose not to use. And get some exercise!