View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Carlotta
Behold the power of NO

This is my personal take on cravings and such, I think that there is definitely some kind of brain chemistry at work and that different people get affected differently not only because of their thought process and psychological make up but also because of their biology.

I have experienced some animalistic want (for no better words) but as a drinker, I could abstain or have at most one or 2 at parties then start obsessing and cut out early so I could drink heavily alone without outside restriction (which I guess is more of an happiness/thought process as described in Steve's book). I was able to defer instant gratification so I could "really" drink later alone.

I have also known many alcoholics who once they had the first one or even a taste would just be off to the races without delay.
My XABF was that way and I actually made the mistake to try to come between an alcoholic and his booze when he was in "Mr Hyde" mode. Very bad idea.
The minute he would take the first sip, it was like a switch was pulled, his face and body language would change and there was no stopping him (or him stopping) till it was all gone and he had passed out.

Sadly, he was never able to remain abstinent and ended up committing suicide. Part of him wanted to quit, part of him did not/could not and he was miserable whether he was sober or not. >sigh<

Anyway, I like seeing different and new methods being discussed even if I don't always click and relate to some of it. It might just be the thing which will make sense to someone who is struggling and give them the tools to free themselves from addiction.