Old 03-22-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Horn95

Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
I was feeling horribly anxious. Now I feel anxious sometimes and depressed other times. Was I really drinking to mask my feelings? I saw the therapist and she said that trauma and addiction are interrelated and that not drinking is allowing me to access past trauma that needs to be dealt with. Does anyone know if this is true?

I am afraid to drink and I am afraid not to but I am not. I know the path that will take me on and I don't want to follow that path anymore. I guess it took some desperation to get here and I don't want to feel that way again.

Thanks for all the support I find here.
Chow,

It is pretty well documented that prolonged alcohol consumption alters brain chemistry and hence your moods. Once you stop the alcohol your brain has to adjust to the absence of alcohol — while you were drinking it stopped making chemicals it naturally does (like GABA, serotonin, dopamine). Now your brain is low in those, that is why you are experiencing the anxiety and depression. Mood swings are common in early recovery.

One thing is sure though, resuming drinking will make it even worse. If you have always suffered anxiety and depression you should your doc for possible treatment.

Just hang in there.