View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SurvivorK

Hi Gottalife, you asked me about sponsorship, when I was 6 years sober. I never sponsored, I always thought it was too much for me. I would say I was active with my sponsor in the beginning, for the first 2 years, went to meetings, but then life happened, kids kept me busy, work, life and all that fell to the way side. I just stayed sober, it was what I was supposed to do. I went to a great treatment facility, someone close kindly paid for it and I was not going to let that person down, nor my family so I was on this high and kept moving forward. Kids have now grown, need me less, my someone close passed away, and I was like, well... maybe I can drink. I won't let them down. In reality, I now know I need to do this for myself, no one else, especially if I want to enjoy my kids, my husband, and honor the person who helped me in need. She would forgive me and ask me to believe in myself, again and always.

In summary, I need to be an active participant in my recovery, not just watch from the sidelines. Maybe I will sponsor in the future. I took out my book last night to start working my steps again. I wish the same for all of you. Never become complacent. Support others like you said.