Thread: Relapse
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Well, every 10 year sober alcoholic started with one day! So, maybe you might think about going to meetings, meeting someone you admire and work with him, take suggestions on face value, and like what I did, do what I was told. My ideas got me drunk, maybe ideas from sober folks who had worked the steps could benefit me. Surrender is part of the beginning. Without surrender there is scant chance for a sober life. But, if you have tried everything else, why not try "the program" and the steps. Just might work, good luck
Hi Carlingford, you said your relapse was caused in part by a moment of weakness. I can buy that. At certain times alcoholics of my type have no effective mental defence against the fatal first drink. The thoughts that should deter us do not come with enough strength to save us. Definitely a weak moment.

So what would put us in such a defenceless position? Untreated alcoholism will do that of course, but there was another factor. I don't know about you, but the main cause of my repeated slipping and sliding was a refusal to follow the simple suggestions above.