View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 03:30 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
AlericB

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
I think it’s safe to say, the Freedom Model of recovery’s ongoing internal evaluation of what type of alcohol intake will make me happiest, is the equivalent of the Structural Model’s ongoing re-cognition of the Addictive Voice popping up here and there in harmless thoughts and feelings.
I don't think there is an equivalence because you wouldn't be constantly evaluating what type of intake will make you the happiest. Once you've made a considered opinion on what would be your best option you may decide to change this at some later date but it wouldn't be a continuing thing that you do.

The AV, on the other hand, in the Structural Model is the bark of the enduring and eternal Beast and therefore does need a life-long and ongoing process of recognition and separation.

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Since the AV cannot be fully understood without the Structural Model of Addiction
In the Structural Model, AV is the sole cause of addiction which you can't control whereas in the Freedom Model the cause of addiction is holding onto the addict-self image which you can let go of once you see it for what it is.

So I wouldn't say it's that the Freedom Model doesn't understand AV but rather that AV is not an explanatory concept that it uses. The models have some similarities but also differences and there is not always a correspondence between the ideas in the two models.