View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by SoberTyger View Post
Sometimes, though, I wish the world was run by recovered alcoholics, because I see so many recovered drunks unselfishly offer so much to other expecting no reward, and i sense such strong empathy from so many sober drunks i rarely see among "normal" people.
I usually post in the F&F side of SR, so i'm a bit out of my comfort zone here but I was reading this thread and it is an interesting take on things.

Your post made me think. I've seen this said before and I wonder. For every alcoholic Husband or Wife there is, in many cases, a sober Husband or Wife. One who takes on responsibilities and child care/raising, as lessgravity said "Someone to be counted on. Someone who fulfills his obligations" (or hers).

For alcoholics who have been dodging responsibility for 5-10-15-20 years, there may well be a spouse picking up all the slack.

Maybe the "normies" you see that appear to have less empathy and compassion are just tapped out (and not necessarily from alcoholism in the family, of course).

I say this without resentment btw, I do think that the hardship faced in alcoholism can indeed make for compassionate people, I see it here every day.