View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
My questions/comments/criticisms with this principle are centered on how they deal with or if they deal with the more visceral aspects of intoxication. Their principle seems , to me at least based on the information provided in this thread, targets a person's estimation of their future happiness given they accept a lifestyle change. An estimation the authors presume every one would make given a rational and reasoned estimation of their current circumstances and how a change in their use habits would facilitate their happiness going forward.
That the recovery industry has fabricated the falsehood of 'addiction' as a disease or condition which 'makes' them stay stuck simply because they fail to recognize they would in fact be happier by choosing to see that a lifestyle change would bring that happiness and to let go of the idea that their current lifestyle is a path to that end.

But how do they reconcile not being able to get high , that moment (?) when an individual realizes the last high was just that, the very last time that(those) sensation(s) were the last time they would ever experience it?

Speaking for myself I always knew being free of the negative consequences of self intoxication would be a happier existence, just for the fact of not experiencing the negatives, but that in and of itself didn't stop the desire for intoxication.

I don't see this principle as a way to quit, it seems like a good round about way to feel happy about having quit( end an addiction) , I just can't see this principle working as a course of action to ensure never getting the chance to get high again.

They definitely recognize both the physical and mental aspect of pleasure from all drugs. Their whole philosophy is about changing the mind. You are what you think. I'm only on chapter 5, but this is from chapter 2.

The Freedom Model works by first removing the obstacles to change and then providing insight and information that can help you effectively make new choices, leaving those choices up to you. It does all this by providing information. With new information, new perspectives, and new thoughts, you may develop new desires, do away the painful task of fighting your desires, and easily make new choices.

How Do I Quit Drinking or Drugging?

You quit by ceasing to continue using substances. Quitting is a zero step process, and it isn't difficult. We know this sounds dismissive of the difficulties you've felt in trying to quit, and again, that's why we've provided this detailed, thoroughly researched and cited text to help you understand why it truly is simple.

Quitting isn't difficult when you really want to quit. As you think critically about your past attempts to quit in which it felt difficult, you might want to ask yourself whether you truly wanted to quit. You either felt that you had to quit, were obligated to quit, or were cornered into quitting. In those difficult attempts, you didn't see a life without substance use. This is another way of saying you didn't really want it, then becomes a painful struggle to resist what you really want.