View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 10:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
4ABetterMe

First if all, congrats on the 2 months of sobriety! Awesome job!

Eating right can be an important step in maintaining your sobriety. I think instead of "dieting" you should just change your diet to healthier foods. Switch to eating lean meats and make sure to get plenty of fruits and veggies. Don't eat pre-made, frozen meals and, instead, cook healthy and wholesome meals with fresh foods. Also, make sure to drink plenty of water. Just getting enough water can help you drop a couple pounds. You need to make sure you are getting enough calories because early recovery can be strenuous on your body, but you need to make sure those calories are "good" calories. Maintaining a high fiber diet will also help with any irregularity issues associated with recovery. Often times people experience diahrea or constipation. Getting enough fiber will help with that.

The best thing you can do is to come up with a meal plan. Every week sit down and write down at least one healthy meal for each day that you can make (write down all your meals if you're up to the task). I find it's easiest to plan breakfasts and dinners. For me, every Sunday night I write down my breakfast and dinner in a planner for each day of the next week, then each day I put a check next to each meal that I followed. It feels good to write down that check mark twice per day; it helps me feel like I accomplished something good for myself! Writing your meals down will help you with your grocery shopping, and it will help you to see what you are eating. It will also help you keep on track and make it easier to succeed in your new healthy meal plan.

Lastly, a healthy diet will help you feel better and make recovery easier. Good foods gives your body the nutrients necessary to fight the emotional lows, pains, and other complications associated with withdrawals and recovery. It will also give you more energy and make it easier to have the motivation to exercise. Exercise has many, many benefits, too!

Good luck! I hope this helps!