Old 03-17-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Ladysadie

Less, maybe you had put in the work up to the point that you were ready to "hear" your advice (of not to focus on your war stories). Maybe you had sufficient good days of sobriety to understand the concept.

I dare say at the beginning of your personal journey you, like many of us finding our way to this website, had to establish what brought you here (being desperate, as a last resort, in health crises, in the final stages of our alcoholism) and process it in a healthy and safe manner (its anonymity being a huge draw for me).

Many of us can NOT go into AA meetings and share to what seems like an intimate group of fellow neighbors, coworkers, church members, and driving to another town is not a feasible option.

I liken this thread (and the stigma of addiction) to Brook Shields when she first opened up to the world about her post partum depression. She shared her truths with an open heart but was (and still is) harshly judged for being so forthright. Some of us could relate, but most of us couldn't. I think compassion for others, no matter where they are in their recovery, is always in good taste.