View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
sobersolstice

I work a physical job, and find that long days early in sobriety (first couple weeks) are tough on the Central Nervous System. I get a little manic my first week or so, and want to do everything at once. I wanted to be tired for my first few days, and worked out hard, thinking I had to make huge changes, but my body craved more and the withdrawals were tough. I drank because of my DT's. These were 1 to 2 day events.

I took a week, logged it in my plan book (I had already logged it, but didn't read it) to not over work myself mentally and physically for the first month. I started back at walking, then one set of pushups, then pushups combined with pullups, and added 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile jogs, then light squats. I found slowly working up to some sort of exercise is critical for me to stay dry. I'm a bit more tired at the end of the day (good), but have more energy through the day if I move my body.

Laying in bed and resting I still do when I feel tired, but find being in bed too much can be depressing because it's the same pattern that permeated my drinking hangovers.

I like to go back to things I liked when i was younger, and do those activities at a chill level. Also whimsies... those things you've always wanted to try that aren't too stressful on the mind and body. Give 'em a shot and see what you like.

I don't like cleaning, but it seems I do it to just do something. Then I feel cleaner, better, and maybe in a small way proud because my kitchen isn't trashed when I go make breakfast.. A little cardio, hobby things, and electrolytes are huge for me. My body doesn't absorb water well early, so electrolyte tabs, pedialyte, or even gatorade cut in half hydrate me better than strict water. I drink a combo.