View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cellardweller

Hi Elle,

Have you been able to work a bit on diet/activity? This sometimes gives us a sense of empowerment and will pay dividends in how we feel over time. Even just some short walks, extra water, and a healthy meal here and there will go a long way to making us feel better. To be honest, the biggest boost I had was when I made the decision to stop drinking, no matter what. (I don't know your situation with boozing but if you get DT's/etc and have severe withdrawal symptoms, see a doc. )

Distractions are important right now. Don't worry too much about whether or not any activity is particularly productive as long as it keeps your interest and helps you get through the long hours. I think that's what we need. I picked up video games for a while after I stopped. They weren't helping me be very productive but they did get me through the last few hours of the day, where I would usually be drinking. Focus on you and what it takes for YOU to be/stay off the booze. After a month or two I felt more prepared to start taking on bigger challenges even if my body was still adjusting. (Sleep schedules/moodiness/etc.)

We sometimes need to tread water before we shoot out into the ocean. It is a process. Just know that every day you can make it through without picking up a drink is a success. Things can start slowly but you will pick up speed. You've reached out here and want to stop. That's a great thing. It's hard but very much worth the effort.

All the best.

P

edit: concrete list

-drinking water/carbonated water (I wanted the fizz), sometimes mixed with a bit of apple cider vinegar
-Multivitamin
-Prepare a meal list, with focus on veggies (lots of colors, lots of greens), fruits, fresh and whole foods
-Walks, however short or long
-Keep up your personal appearance/hygiene. A shower and some clean clothes can work wonders on how we feel.
-Maintain a clean living environment (it made a world of difference to come home to a clean apartment vs. a trainwreck of a place)
-Reading books, no matter what the subject. (I'm learning about bears right now.)
-Research/do ANYTHING you have ever been interested in.