View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
andyh
ours de petit cerveau

I PM'd daredevil with some thoughts already as I didn't want to kick off any of the predictable arguments but since Tatsy has raised SMART I'll put a few thoughts here too

I think, for abstaining from an addicitive behaviour, that AVRT works very well as a standalone method.

However, & I can only speak for myself here, I had some unhelpful (learned) behaviours - NOT character defects - that some of the SMART tools, based on Motivational Interviewing & CBT/REBT, helped me unpick. I don't consider this to be "recoveryism" as it's self-empowering & evidence-based. also, it's not intended to be open-ended, or "morally improving" or whatever you might want to call it.

I went to some F2F SMART meetings in early recovery & found them helpful, but I've mostly stopped going to them now. I found that the ones I went to - & this is not necessarily representative - tended to end up being used as pseudo- group therapy by some attendees & focussing overly on combatting urges/cravings. I still do the UK online meetings now & then as some of them are more Tools-focused & more adherent to the ethos of SMART, plus it's nice to be able to contribute something back