Thread: Antabuse
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 11:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sophie11

I’ve used a dopamine inhibitor (topamirate) off and on over the years to cut down my drinking (the sinclaire method). And I have found it hugely effective.

However I also personally, for me, felt I needed to learn to be sober without it so I’m not on one now. I guess for me, I found that I was too tempted to not take it if I wanted to go on a bender (it has a short half-life of about 12 hours?)... ie it was a crutch rather than a cure. Not that I’m ‘cured’ now, but I feel more confident quitting without the meds.

Also, I found the dopamine inhibitor kept me sober, but that’s when I realised the alcohol was only one part of a much more complicated picture. I needed to address WHY I drink... not just the drinking itself.

But again, that’s just me, for now. In the past I have been grateful for the pharmacological assist and have wondered whether they won’t be used increasingly more in addiction treatments in the future... it will be interesting to see... and if antabuse is working for you, that’s great!!!