Old 03-12-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LBrain

Aside from newborns whose mother was an active addict during the term and who actually experience withdrawal when removed from the host (mother), no-one is born an addict.

Addiction is caused by prolonged or chronic use of a substance. Some types of personalities are predisposed to addictive behaviors, whether it involves drugs, alcohol or anything else for that matter. Obsessive compulsive disorder comes to mind along with a myriad of other 'diagnosis'.

But unless one chooses to imbibe, one will never 'become' an addict. Addiction is a "learned behavior" that can get away from someone. It can be "unlearned". Unfortunately many don't recognize it until it becomes a serious issue.

Many use the "my grandfather and his grandfather were alcoholics..." etc. excuse. There may be something to it. But overall, this does not prevent someone from quitting or sobering up. Once your body is free from use, a certain time period for the physical dependence to subside, the rest is totally in your mind. How one learns to deal with reality is the toughest part of overcoming addiction. Others will give suggestions on how to cope whether it is group therapy or individual counseling. Trying to do this alone may be very difficult.

I've always said there are two parts to this. First part is quitting drinking (or other), the second fixing yourself. Think of it as having surgery for a torn knee, then the physical therapy to recover from the surgery. Except, quitting is the surgery, mental therapy is the healing. Some may need more than others, some just need to quit. We are all different in that sense, but as addicts, we are all the same.

This is all just my opinion of course, because I don't have a medical or psychology degree. But I'm smarter than the average bear...