View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cerati73

6 days staying sober!!. Went to a party last night and did not drink at all !!!!

6 days staying sober. Yesterday ( SATURDAY ) was the real proof to see if im commited to this. Had an invitation to a birthday party of one of my best friends. Cannot say no. I live in southwest florida and it is very common to do a BBQ on parties. You can see the picture: beers, liquor, music, etc. Showed up and all my male friends with a beer on hand, as always. Offered me 1 and when I said " no thanks", they all were looking at me like if I was sick or something. Just said that I wanted to stay that night with just water and after a while they stopped pressuring me to drink my 1st beer. Believe me: this has been so far the most DIFFICULT challenge. In other circumstances, I would have started drinking with them and end up drunk. I enjoyed the night, the meat and music.
Something that never happened to me before: I was able to see all my friends getting drunk and how ridicolous they act and look. I don't want to quit meeting them. I really appreciate their friendship and we do other activities that don't involve drinkink/partying.
I'm proud of myself of doing this last night. I feel sooooooo goooood today. No hangovers, not feeling guilty. I want to continue on this commitment, 1 day at a time !
THANKS for reading this !!!

Cerati73;6815084]Hi
I'm 45. Have been drinking in excess for about 15 years. It progressively went from weekends only to a daily routine. Able to be a functional alcoholic, meaning able to go to work. Mostly rum or beer.
Around 1 year ago one friend of mine told me that my face was looking red and I was sober at that time. I realized that alcohol was causing struggles in my face. Decided to quit but was very hard and came back to beer only and instead of daily I switched for weekends and or every 3 days. My face is still red and The longest I have been able to go sober is 2 weeks.
I think now that I'm committed to totally quit. Making a list of triggers that make me to drink my first beer and avoiding them. 1 week so far.
I now that just 1 beer and will loose control and end up with 6 or more and drunk.
I want to join this forum to listen to you all with more experience staying sober.
I can give some of my commitment list that i did to recognize triggers in a later post
Thank you all !!![/QUOTE]