View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cerati73

Thanks berrybean !

I'm open to all comments and advices. I find your comment about the trigger starting as an emotional reaction very true. I'm going to analyze in a very slow motion my emotional side. That obviously is different for everybody. Thanks for the advice !!.
By the way, staying sober for 6 days !!

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Welcome. Im glad you're here, reading and posting. This place has been a bug part of my sobriety and recovery.

But you know, the triggers don't trigger the drink as such. If we could slow-motion it actually the trigger starts of an emotional reaction, and we drink because we believe that alcohol will make us feel better (which sometimes it does for the short term, but the back-lash of the alcohol is that it makes us feel worse in the long term).

Do you think you will be able to avoid everything that makes you feel bad for ever? Or even this week? Nope. That would involve controlling our environment and this isn't something that any of us can do.

I'd suggest that a more useful strategy might be to learn new and better ways (less counter-productive ones) of dealing with life on life's terms. And that is what Recovery is about. Growing and changing so that we gradually teach ourselves new ways of responsponding when life happens to us. We can't change the world. But we can change how we react to it. That's why the Serenity Prayer is used in so many AA meetings,.. 'God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.'

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

BB