Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
tursiops999

Hi Tatsy, i read it last week. I think they did a good job of de-mystifying alcohol in many ways. They do emphasize the internal locus of control and that we're definitely not powerless to quit alcohol. They also carefully pick apart the so-called "benefits" of drinking, and demonstrate fairly convincingly that alcohol doesnt actually provide most of the benefits one might think it does. Its very matter-of-fact and treats the reader like a grownup, capable of making informed choices.

The problem i had with it was them leaving "moderation" on the table. At first i thought it was a rhetorical device, to encourage a reluctant reader to suspend their objections to quitting long enough to explore their options. But reading all the way to the end, the authors themselves state they continue to use rather than choosing abstinence. So that painted the whole thing in a weird light for me.

That doesnt negate the value for me of a couple of their ideas on the effects of alcohol and the research they cite. But its probably not the first book i would give to a friend who is struggling.