Old 03-10-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

HI there- good job on four days!

I have to follow along with Mike especially (and the folks that said 30-90 days)...I was VERY sick when I quit, after nearly a decade of increasingly heavy drinking that got to the point of being told I had a year, 18 mo if I didn't quit.

I used to "read" while also watching TV. Uh-uh, yeah - I didn't digest anything and while I love(d) cooking mags, I could really only skim them and mark pages "for later" when I could "concentrate"....I realized about 60 days in that all the TV shows I had on DVR? As I binge RE-watched them, they seemed new because I had only digested max half of any of them!

I had a bad case of aphasia (in short, the inability to grasp the right word, or to do so quickly- this terrified me as I love to write) and the frequent moments of standing in my apt with things like "now WHAT did I just do with [ ]?" and such.

All of this took time to clear up. I am still scatterbrained at times - generally my husband thinks its charming, no one really notices enough to comment, and my ability to focus when I need to is generally good - and I just passed 2 yrs sober.

Everyone's experience is different and, indeed, time takes time- if you have not heard of PAWS, here is a great article about what our bodies, minds, and feelings can go through in the first months and years of sobriety - www.digitaldharma.net under tab "PAWS" (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome which generally is identified as a cluster of symptoms after the immediate withdrawal phase).

Keep going! You can do this and things will "reassemble" and sort themselves out with continued sobriety.