View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 12:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
charliesworld

I had a similar situation last year. No-one outside my immediate family (that I know of) know about my problem. I don't go out now to many nighttime dos where I would be expected to drink and even when I do most of those I just say I'm not drinking and it's fine. I tend to drive if I can so people then don't even ask.

Last year I was at our annual sons football teams party and one of the mums got really drunk and she kept buying shots. She bought me one even though I'd said I wasn't drinking that night but she was so drunk she kept insisting I drank it so I did. I didn't feel bad after and it didn't start any cravings for me. For me in that situation it was the right thing to do. If I made a big fuss about saying no then someone would suspect something was wrong - now if I wasn't an alcoholic then I wouldn't have been bothered but I don't want anyone to even suspect anything. It's horrible to say but I don't want people looking at me differently. I have young children and am friends with a lot of their parents - I don't want the parents discussing anything to do with me and drinking and then that filtering to the kids in school (because these things do).

I have a couple of nights out this month that I am worried about how to get out of drinking. It's my 40th and I have a couple of, what other people would class as boozy nights out planned. I'm happy not to drink but my friends would be wondering why I'm not given the occasion. I'll just have to work that out nearer the time!