Old 03-06-2018, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Depression is not "getting sad," and antidepressants don't "make you happy." If used properly, shouldn't numb you out, but rather mitigate the very real physical and psychological symptoms of depression. I really don't understand the "pharmacological Catholicism" idea that you can "think" or "work" your way through depression and other mental illnesses. Can you "think" or "work" your way through diabetes, a low thyroid, or a tumor? They are also not addictive. You can become dependent in that you can have withdrawal symptoms if you stop them abruptly, but they are not a source of a regular or a dependable high, so people don't seek them out. Nobody turns tricks or steals from their mother to get Prozac.

I have encountered this attitude from some old-timers in AA, among other places. That psych meds are somehow "cheating," and keeping someone from experiencing their "bottom." That psych meds should even set your sober clock back to zero. I cry BS on that one, for myself anyway. I'll take whatever tool I can use to help with addiction, thank you very much.

Depression is a sticky wicket. You don't just take a pill and be cured, it usually takes some other strategies, like cognitive therapy to help change your thinking or psychodynamic therapy to work through some underlying trauma, which can help the depression from spiraling out of control. Even then, people might need medication at a later date if it gets past what control and resilience they may have developed.

I have bipolar disorder. This is clearly biological in nature and responds primarily to medication. Take it and I'm OK. Don't take it and would probably end up in jail, a hospital, or dead. Therapy doesn't do anything to lessen or stop it, more that it helps you work through the damage caused by what did when I was untreated. Sound familiar? Probably why a marker for bipolar disorder is substance abuse, it's an attempt to self-medicate, and was very much a part of my drinking and drug use.

Antidepressants don't keep you from feeling emotions, they help to keep them from taking over. They can help with recovery in that it'll give some a firmer base to look at their issues for using and coming up with alternative strategies for dealing with life issues than drinking or drugs.

SSRI antidepressants have sexual side effects like decreased libido, impotence and anorgasmia, as well as causing weight gain. Wellbutrin is more likely to increase sex drive and has little to no effect on orgasm or weight. What people complain about on Wellbutrin is that it is activating and energizing, and can trigger a lot of anxiety for some. YMMV, of course, I find it more motivating than anything else.