Old 03-06-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Seems to me that he doc is just trying to mke life a little easier for you, and for an alcoholic of my type, that could be a mistake.

Life is painful at times. I had a particularly painful experience in early sobriety, back in the days when doctors almost never gave alcoholics pills.

The experience manifested in weeks of anger, resentment, fear and self pity (self pity is sometimes confused with depression). I know form recent experience that my doctor would instantly diagnose clinical depression and prescribe some of his special non addictive pills. The pills may be non addictive to him, but then again so is alcohol.

The problem with the pills is, according to other experts, you cannot selectively numb emotions. You get the happy with the sad, the motivation with the pain. When, as one wise man said, pain is the touchstone of all spiritual growth, wipe out the pain, and the growth is gone too. No pain, no gain as is sometimes said.

So back to my drama. The only avenue open to me was spiritual in nature and through persistance I found a solution and learned some really valuable lessons in the process. There was a huge amount of growth in me, and a whole new insight into the spiritual way of life. That experience has helped me many times since then.

I can't help but feel that my doctor's current solution to the same problem would rob me of all that.