View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
MindfulMan
No Dogma Please

Sounds like you are really thinking and working your recovery, trying stuff on for size and finding your path to what works is a big part of it. I went through many methods and chose what stuck.

Despite your being court ordered you really seem to admit that you have a drinking problem and really want to stop. I observed a number of people in your situation going through the motions so they could get their job or drivers license back. Those types probably would have sought out and stayed on this site with an open mind.

There is more to a group than economic and social demographic. I am solidly middle class and educated with a steady job and a decent but not luxurious lifestyle, with good food and travel a priority. I landed at inpatient rehab in the midst of people very much not that way at all. Many had multiple rehabs, were addicted to alcohol, heroin, meth,, cocaine, pills, PCP, cough syrup and more and in various combinations. People who lived in beautiful homes and others who had been homeless and in and out of jail. A few had serious mental illness. I would have been pretty freaked out, but I was so sick that I didn’t care, and in horrible withdrawal. Addiction is a great equalizer and I learned as much from homeless drug addicts as I did from those that had gone to good schools and had never lost a job. I still find myself liking some meetings more than others, but that is more to do with personal dynamics than demographics.

Keep asking questions, listen a lot and do what feels right to you.