View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
PrettyViolets

I have always looked at AA as a place for my husband to be accountable to other people going through the same struggle. It is also a place that he can open up and tell people how he is really doing in an anonymous way.

Looking back to 5 years ago, I just wished that Martians would suck all of the alcohol out of the area, close all the bars and alcohol stores, and ad execs would not put the beer commercials on the air. But we know that it is not going to happen anytime soon.

We live in a society where drinking is very socially based when someone turns 21 years of age, and it keeps being a party for people. The problem is that it is a nightmare for some families.

I think for my husband that bar was just a way to deal with his own loneliness and anxiety in life. It was a way to fit in. So his life is different now. He drinks a lot of coffee. He likes smoothies. He cannot really hang out with other dads and drink beer any longer.

I went to a couple of AA meetings with my husband. It was interesting. I just identified that I was there in support of my husband.

I also want to let you know that there is a Autism Parents Support & Discussion Group on Facebook. My daughter is on the spectrum for Autism, and I am part of this group.

As well, there are other support groups for parents who have kids that are bipolar on Facebook.