Old 03-01-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Wholesome

Since addiction is not a disease, it can't be medically treated, and you can't recover from it.
This stuck out to me as well. They summary talks a lot about free will and choices. Getting high or drunk is a choice, as is choosing not to. Being ambivalent about using, or addicted, may feel like you have lost the power of choice, but that is an illusion.

I'm not convinced about quitting as a means to finding happiness. I'm going to assume that anyone seeking out information about how to quit drugs or alcohol is in an unhappy place over their use. It also leaves the door open to going back to using if the promise of happiness remains unfulfilled. Happiness is a moment, it's a feeling, I've been happily drunk and I've been happily sober. I think it's chasing rainbows to believe that abstinence is about happiness, life is life and it's got its ups and downs. Early abstinence is often not a happy time, it's uncomfortable and scary and unknown, there is likely a lot of cleaning up to do with relationships and employment and life skills. It takes time to settle in sobriety and for the body to heal.

Just my opinion though.....